Thursday, December 2, 2010

"Tea By the Sea" at the Getty Villa

When someone mentions the word "tea" I automatically assume they mean a mug microwaved on high for 2 minutes with a bag of Lipton dipped in it. So it's safe to assume I've never exerienced a proper "tea" dining experience until recently.


Last Wednesday I attended the Getty Villa's "Tea By The Sea" with some fellow mom bloggers in the Pacific Palisades. Our day started with a fascinating tour of Mr. Getty's former home which was built to replicate the Roman country house Villa dei Papirit. The architecture, artwork and landscaping were absolutely amazing.


Our tour guide Eric then led us into the gardens where we smelled fragrant citron, apricot and olive trees. I learned that tarragon is known to have foot-healing properties and that Cleopatra was rumored to have been poisoned by a basket of figs.


After the tour it was time for tea!!! And this wasn't just any tea this tea was a custom aromatic blend which is only avaiable at the Getty Villa. We dined on savory panini sandwiches, tea breads, port-infused cheese, fresh and dried fruit then finished off the meal with gourmet tarts and Mrs. Garrett's famous carrot cake.


Definitely a great way to have my first (but definitely not my last) "tea" experience.

The Getty Villa's "Tea by the Sea" is available every Thursday at 1pm in the Founders Room @ $36 per person. Click on this link to book your reservation today and prepare for the tea experience of you're life. You'll leave there saying "Lipton who?".

Disclaimer: I was not paid for this post. I was invited to preview the event and the views expressed are my personal and honest opinion. And even after this experience I still enjoy a good cup of microwaved Lipton tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment